Friday, November 10, 2017

Dick Sheeran's Trip To The White House: Philadelphia Reporter Takes Orders

Guess Where I’m Going?

Dick Sheeran was a news reporter for 30 years with KYW radio and TV,  and now lives in retirement in Atlantic City.

One of Dick Sheeran’s favorite yarns occurred in 1979 during the presidential contest between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. 

President Carter was staying in Washington to monitor the crisis in Iran,  but holding frequent campaign interviews with reporters in the White House. To Sheeran’s delight, he was selected to go to the capital city to interview the President.

“I was excited about it – a local TV reporter doesn’t get invited to the White House every day,” Sheeran recalls.

“So, I called my wife and said, ‘Honey, guess where I’m going tomorrow - to the White House!’”

“She said, ‘Bring me back two cheese subs,’” Sheeran recalls with a grin.

In New Jersey, a hoagie is called a sub and in Atlantic City, the most famous sub shop is the White House Sub Shop on Arctic Avenue.