Saturday, November 25, 2017

Jerry Helzner Recalls: Funny Student Names 101

Jerry Helzner now lives in Abington Township and shares a funny memory of his days as a teacher in the 1960s..

"On the first day at Edison High School in North Philly my history class convened, so I handed out cards so that the students could write their names and be assigned to seats,"

"As I was looking at the cards, I saw one that was simply signed 'CHOPPER'.  I put it aside. This was something I had to nip in the bud.

"After I had seated all the other students, I saw one small kid in a suit and bow tie standing alone and trembling. I started to feel that maybe I had misread the situation.

"So I said. 'You signed your card CHOPPER. That's not the way to get off to a
good start with me',"

"The kid looked puzzled — and trembled even more. 'Are you telling me that
you're the CHOPPER?',"

"'No, my name is Clinton Hopper', he barely was able to speak.

Uh-oh. My mistake.I went over to Clinton and gave him a hug.